Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cigarette Songs

[Now, before the RIAA gets on my case for this, this is my idea, and all of this is "fair use" under the DMCA--you wrote the damned thing, so, I guess, abide by the sections you, um, don't like, too?  I guess that's only fair?  Oh, right, I'm talking about digital music and cigarettes.  And it's the digital music part that's got you ready to Cease and Decist me?  Good values.  Oh, and attempt #2 to quit starts Saturday.  Yay...]

It took me long enough to go all 2.0, what with a blog, a Twitter account, Skype for VoIP, and some other stuff.  Pandora?  Come again?  I can create endless streams of songs that have a ton musically in common with the ones I tell you I like?  Where have you been all my life?  Come and sit down, my friend, the roads are tiring and treacherous.  I'll get you a glass of ale?

Yes, Pandora.  Digital music.

Any one ever heard of "Cigarette Songs?"  Anybody who isn't a writer, that is.

In short, they're any song that, if you are working on something and you hear it, somewhere in the back of your subconscious is this voice softly screaming at you to smoke, take a break and listen to the song.  It becomes a "Cigarette Song" when the song itself is enough for you to do so, through a Pavlovian trigger.\

Until Pandora, I had 2, Loreena McKennit's "Raglan Road" and Matt Nathanson's "Sing Me Sweet."

Now?

Somewhere around 6?  All because they sound so similar to the original pair.  I've got to either quit Pandora (yeah, right, and listen to, what, C-SPAN while I work?  Been there, done that, swear to God), or create really, reaaaaaaaaaallllllllllly complicated "Stations" so "Cigarette Songs" don't derail my life.

Then again, that's what the Nicorette supposed to do, right RIAA?

No comments:

Post a Comment